Sunday, May 1, 2011

WEED it and REAP

Garden quotes...isn't it funny how much delight we find in the perfectly placed sign or piece of yard art?  Your favorite garden addition might be a brightly colored birdhouse or bench placed right in a cool, shady spot.  Maybe it's a path that winds through the garden to somewhere that is completely out of sight from your current vantage point, or perhaps the fragrance of a particular plant that you smell long before you arrive at the garden's gate. 

One of the non-growing things that I enjoy most in our yard is a small playhouse constructed on our property for the previous home owner's daughter.  It is a great storage place for pool chemicals and other seasonal items; but more than that, it adds a great visual element to the garden.  While I adore it's weathered appearance, there's a part of me that wants to paint it periwinkle blue so that it really stands out.  I can see the look of horror on my husband's face if I ever decide to mention that idea out loud! :)   
A garden, after all, shouldn't be just at your feet.  There should be something at all levels to draw your eyes from one area to the next.  It's all about appealing to the senses: sight, smell, taste, sound and touch.  I can't tell you how many times my husband has commented on some plant only for me to respond with "oh, that has really bitter leaves", or "oh, those are really sweet".  I can tell by the look on his face that he's thinking something far more "grown up" like, "Oh my Lord!  How do you know what it tastes like?  You ate it?  I know you didn't wash it first!! Do you know how many dogs stepped on it... or worse????"  He's right you know.  I didn't wash them.  But it's not like I ate them yesterday, I was a kid!  But to consider yourself a gardener... you've got to give it your all.   You can't be afraid to get your hands dirty, ruin a good pair of shoes, or be awakened in the middle of the night by the occasional itchy rash or bug bite!  It just comes with the territory. 
_______________________________________________________

On another note... I would be remiss if I were to not mention today's historic anniversary.  One year ago today, Nashville experienced one of the worst disasters in its history - the 1,000 year flood.  Gardening, among other things, was far from our minds.  While my family was blessed to live on higher ground, there are many Nashvillians whose lives remain in a state of turmoil this long after the waters have receded.  My heart and prayers go out to those who lost loved ones and those who remain scarred, but not broken by these events.  In some ways we have come so far; but sadly, for many, it must feel as if their lives are still underwater.  May peace and contentment find them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to comment. It's nice knowing that someone is out there on the other side of this computer screen. Now, enough computing...get out there and get your hands dirty! :)