Saturday, June 18, 2011

Things Are Lookin' Up Around Here

There's not too much going on in the garden today.  Thankfully, the Japanese Beetles were greatly reduced in number when I checked on the garden this morning; however, the wisteria vines will require a little pruning to return them to their former glory.

I am delighted to report that we were graced, once again, with rain today and no matter how many times it happens; I am always in awe of how quickly things perk up and look appreciative. 



It's a shame that rain gets such a bad rap, isn't it?  It messes up our cars, our picnics, our hair, etc.  But you let us spend a few weeks without it and we all begin to panic.  Let us go a few days without snow... no problem.  No frost?  No problem.  No fog? No big deal.  Now a day without sunshine is an entirely different ball game.  One day without it and we're all having withdrawals.  Lack of rain takes a bit longer to get our attention.  Too many days of rain also has a dramatic effect on, not only our gardens, but our attitudes as well.  We're just so needy, aren't we? 

But we are grateful for the rains of late and we have embraced them like a long lost, rich uncle!  Check out the new growth on this rose - you can't tell me she isn't thrilled about the rains!  She'll be even happier when she learns that I fixed a huge banana pudding for my family's Father's Day celebration tomorrow!  That's right... I'll be mixing her up her very own banana peel smoothie because I know how much she loves them!


Here's a couple more photos from the garden today: a dancing splash of orange and my neighbor's birdhouse.  I've always wanted a "See Rock City" birdhouse.  Now I have one... well, almost.  I can see it from my patio... so that is good enough!  It even has my bluebirds nesting in it! :)  This is also the house where my cat lives; sure, technically he's their cat.  He was theirs before we even moved here.  But he has his very own store-bought bed on my patio that he sleeps in - so he may belong to them - if you're in to splitting hairs like that! :)



I'll see you in the garden! 

2 comments:

  1. Love the rain/leaf photographs! Thanks for sharing over at Cottage Flora Thursday's Garden Party! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain certainly does make things perk up in our gardens, including us humans. We are in extreme drought conditions down here.

    I'd like to know how you make your banana smoothie for your roses? I've taken the banana peels, cut them up, and blended them in the blender with water. Haven't done that in awhile, and this post inspired me to do it again.

    My family and I went to Rock city when I was a girl. It is still one of my favorite memories. It was scary and enchanting at the same time. I love the bird house.

    Great butterfly photo.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comment.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to comment. It's nice knowing that someone is out there on the other side of this computer screen. Now, enough computing...get out there and get your hands dirty! :)