Saturday, June 25, 2011

Plan? We don't need no stinkin' plan...

Today I began planning a new garden.  Well, that is a bit of an exaggeration; today I thought about planning a new garden.  I thought, and I thought, and I thought about it.  I took photos of the spot needing love and attention.  I sketched it out on paper.  I researched a few plants.

After putting pencil to paper, inserting only the few plants that already call this bed their home and one small birdbath... the bed looked great.  The only problem with that is that in real life, it doesn't.  It is crying to be filled with plants.  It mocks me when I pull into the driveway or walk near it in the front yard.  "Hey look!   It's the lady with the blog about gardening.  What, in the name of Sam Hill, does she know about gardening?  Seriously, look around, lady.  This ain't no garden!!!"  If it's one thing that motivates me... it's mouthy plants! :)

This particular bed is located on the north side of our house, and is approximately 10'x12' and currently holds two mature Nandina bushes (approximately 6' tall) and one newly planted Sunny Knock Out rose which will reach approximately 4'Hx5'W.  For now the bed also has several impatiens to add a little color... but that's it.  It is flanked on one side by a hedge of Manhattans on the other by a hedge of Boxwoods.  The front of the bed, near the sidewalk, receives sunshine most of the day, but the back section is mostly shaded by the roof line of the house.  

I hope that my dreams will be filled with ideas worthy of planting... Lord knows my waking hours weren't. :)  But really, it goes against my style.  I'm a jump into action kind of person... not one to plan things out.  So let's see what my dreams bring... and hopefully I'll soon be sharing photos of a new spot filled with colors, textures and fragrance!

Rest well, my friends!  I'll see you in the garden tomorrow!

P.S.  I am open to any suggestions you might have for this pitiful excuse of a flower bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to comment. It's nice knowing that someone is out there on the other side of this computer screen. Now, enough computing...get out there and get your hands dirty! :)