Monday, April 29, 2013

Wrapping up another weekend...

We finished up the new flowerbed this week.  I say “we”, but (as usual) I have to give most of the credit to my hubby for doing all the hard work!  He picked up the edging and another truck load of mulch and had the edging nearly complete by the time I got home from work on Thursday.  We finished up the rest of the bed before dinner and spent the next few days admiring our work.  I was amazed at how quickly the salvia perked up and claimed its spot in the garden.  The daylilies, for the most part, are holding their own; with a couple still lolled over but still nice and green.  The bed runs 40 ft. in length and 4 ft. deep.  Until the daylilies spread we have room for a few annuals for an added pop of color and depth along the front of the bed. 



 My husband is teasing me with the thought of another bed along the back fence – but for now the thought of weeding yet another bed has caused us to slow our process and give it a little more thought.   By “slowing” you know that it’s my husband’s idea… I’d be half way through with it already if it were up to me!
We had a nice surprise visit from a ruby-throated hummer who was sampling the salvia just 6-7 feet away from where we stood.  Such a gift those are to any garden.  We did find an infestation of Sawfly larvae on the “Sunny” Knock-Out Roses so we’ve got to stop them before they do too much damage.  A gardener’s work is never done!
Saturday it rained all day resulting in nearly 3 ¼ inches of rain – for which the new plants are grateful, I’m sure.  Sunday we had a mixed day of clouds and sunshine but only a quick shower in the early morning.    It made for a relaxing day with plenty of time for scouring the internet for ideas and studying growth habits of newly planted treasures!


3 comments:

  1. Nice looking new flowerbed. Love your blue flower vine, clematis?

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am... it is a clematis. This is it's best year ever. I think it has found a home!

      Thanks for commenting. You're the sweetest!

      Delete
  2. That daylily bed is beautiful. Oh I can just see a bunch of daylilies in there. Kudos to your husband. This spring has been wonderful for our gardens I think! I'm hoping we get more rain today. Last year the rain had stopped by now. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to comment. It's nice knowing that someone is out there on the other side of this computer screen. Now, enough computing...get out there and get your hands dirty! :)