Monday, April 8, 2013

SPRING! I knew you'd come again!


Spring, like the absent blogger, is back and hopefully has been missed!  This past weekend was so needed!  So appreciated!  My soul has longed for spring’s beauty; the sights, the sounds, the smells and the everyday miracle of the rebirth of all things dormant.  This weekend my husband and I worked like young folks with strong backs!  We opened the pool Friday evening to find water that was clean, but not sparkling and worms, worms, worms!  We replaced the sand in the filter and scooped up all the worms; wishing that they were so plentiful in our flowerbeds and then followed that up with a good vacuuming. 

Saturday we pressure-washed the concrete surrounding the pool and didn’t stop there.  We then washed the patio and sidewalk until they were almost a blinding white!  While he pressure washed the patio I nabbed the clippers and began cutting the dead out of the boxwoods behind the house.  Sadly, once the dead branches were cut away we were left with a freakish row of boxwood that screamed for something more drastic.  After slight convincing, we pulled out the big guns and WHACKED the boxwoods nearly down to the ground.  We watered them with added hormones, vitamins and a light fertilizer – said a prayer and now it’s up to them!  If they’d like to stay… this is their opportunity to shine! 

I then convinced my sweet hubby to dig-up and transplant a struggling crepe myrtle that has never done well in its original space.  If you know much about my style of gardening… you know that much of it is based on moving things around… never planting anything and just leaving it be.  My yard must look like a giant chess board from above… constantly changing.  We chalk this crepe myrtle’s poor performance up to it being located too near a propane exhaust pipe from our house.  It now has a chance to thrive at the other end of the sidewalk where it will be much appreciated once it offers privacy and a splash of color!  I said to my hubby Sunday that I feel for the plants that are selected by us... until then... they've got just as much chance at survival as the others on the shelf.

Today my hubby must have been thrilled to see me off to work so he could finally get some rest.  I told him tonight that when you hear people say that a younger woman can wear out an older man you have no idea that they mean by yard work – until you’re in too far invested in the relationship to turn back!  He’s my love…  and one heck of a yard-man!  LOVE HIM, LOVE HIM, LOVE HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to comment. It's nice knowing that someone is out there on the other side of this computer screen. Now, enough computing...get out there and get your hands dirty! :)